Staten Island Academy has an expansive Trip Program as we believe that travel is an important part of our educational experience.
These off-campus field trips are designed as age-appropriate educational journeys that begin close to the Academy campus in the earliest years of learning and take students as far as Europe in their late teens. The Academy believes that all students, no matter their age, should become active citizens of Staten Island, New York City, the country and the world.
Lower School Trips (Grades Pre-K-4)
In the Lower School, school trips vary year-to-year based on each grade’s respective unit of study. The Lower School takes advantage of the expansive variety of museums and historical landmarks that New York City offers. These excursions complement and enrich the classroom and our curriculum.
Recently, students have visited:
On Staten Island
- The Conference House
- Alice Austen House
- Snug Harbor
- Staten Island Zoo
- Staten Island Museum
Off Staten Island
Middle School Trips (Grades 5-8)
Students in all four Middle School grades have overnight trips that are curriculum-based.
- Grade 5 students travel to Philadelphia, PA, 2 days, 1 night, to study the nation's birth.
- Grade 6 students visit Boston, MA; 3 days, 2 nights.
- Grade 7 students travel to Washington, DC, 3 days, 2 nights, to study American government and history.
- Grade 8 students attend team-building workshops at Nature’s Classroom, 3 days, 2 nights.
All of these experiences help develop bonds among students and prepare them both for the travel experience in Grade 9 to London, as well as serving as a preparation for leaving home when they go away to college.
Additionally, students in Middle School have visited:
- American Museum of Natural History http://www.amnh.org/
- New York University Dance Performance http://dance.tisch.nyu.edu
- Staten Island Ferry Excursion http://www.siferry.com/
- Action Center to End World Hunger http://www.actioncenter.org
- Grade 7-8 Delaware River Rafting Trip www.PoconoWhitewater.com
- Packer Middle School Model Congress (Grade 7-8 Debate Elective) http://www.packer.edu
- The Anne Frank Center USA, Manhattan http://www.annefrank.com/
- Six Flags Great Adventure http://www.sixflags.com
Upper School (Grades 9-12)
Students in our Upper School have an array of trips that are curriculum-based. They also attend a number of cultural events in New York City and New Jersey throughout the year.
Below is a list of trips that students have attended in recent years:
- Grade 9 Overnight Upper School Orientation Trip (Annual)
- Grade 9 London, England Trip (7 days/6 nights) (Annual)
- Model United Nations Conference (Annual)
- Numerous Class Trips for English, History and the Arts (Periodic)
- Grade 10 NYC experience (Annual)
- Grade 12 Rafting “Senior Trip” (Annual) Delaware Water Gap