The Academy's location, just 30 minutes from Manhattan, offers students many opportunities to explore New York City! International students make up 15% of our Upper School.
Transitioning to life in the U.S. is a breeze. Each student is assigned an individual adviser to assist with course selection, time management, and school transition. Staten Island Academy is a day school, but we have plenty of local recommended resources for residential accommodations through a local agency's housing options or a host-family network to make your student feel at home.
English as a Second Language (ESL)
All new Grade 8, 9, and 10 international students are required to take a year-long ESL course. This class is designed to improve the skills of English Language Learners (ELLs) and help them adapt to the requirements of the Western academic culture. This course is considered a high-level English language development course and addresses the following:
- Academic reading skills and strategies
- Academic writing skills and techniques
- Academic vocabulary acquisition
- Listening comprehension
- Academic dialogue and discussion skills
- Important grammar topics (covered within the context of reading and writing)
- Study skills that are essential to academic success here in the U.S.
THE CLASS OF 2022 COLLEGE ACCEPTANCES