Admission to Staten Island Academy is given after thorough and thoughtful deliberation. The Admissions team will notify applicants who complete the process by January 9 with a decision by February. After the January 9 deadline, we accept applications on a rolling admissions basis. Applicants for the 2016 William Winter Scholarship will be notified by mail in January 2017.
Like the college admissions process, admission to the Academy is part art and part science. There are quantitative ways to measure whether a student will be successful at the Academy, which is why we ask all applicants to take an entrance exam. There are also qualities that are far less tangible on paper -- the potential to fall in love with learning, the curiosity to keep asking questions, and the ability to be a respectful and contributing member of the school community. We interview all applicants so that we can establish a personal relationship with them and their families. In the end, the Academy seeks students who will be successful in the school's rigorous college prep program. Learn more about the admissions process.
Some quick facts:
- While most of our students come from Staten Island (most ZIP codes), our school community includes students who live in Brooklyn, Queens, and New Jersey. Twenty five of our students are from outside the US and are living in New York City to study at the Academy.
- Bus transportation is available.
- Financial aid is available. Last year the Academy granted over $2.2 million in financial aid awards to over 1/3 of our students.
- Almost half of our students (49%) come from public schools, and over 25% come from parochial schools.
- Our students come a wide variety of backgrounds, all of which are welcomed at the Academy. Learn more about our commitment to diversity