We encourage Academy students to use the summer as an opportunity for exploration, relaxation, and enrichment.
Many students attend sleep-away camps, day camp, or venture away on family trips. Whether traveling to Europe with groups, attending specialized camps, or playing for a travel team and building their skills in a sport that they love, our hope is that the summer is a fun, exciting, and adventurous time for our students.
Upper School Summer Opportunities
Upper School students are encouraged to take advantage of the summer opportunities presented to them. Starting with our Summer Experiences Panel in the fall, when students discuss their summer adventures in a school-wide assembly, Upper School students learn about summer opportunities all year long and start to plan for the summer. At the Summer Opportunities Fair, students can learn about local, national and international programs. This past summer students had a variety of experiences including:
- studying in Cambridge, England;
- Engineering research at Cooper Union;
- service learning in Ghana and the Caribbean;
- studying theatre in Manhattan;
- taking courses in Spanish and Mandarin Chinese;
- interning at Safe Horizon, Sailor’s Snug Harbor, local law firms, and the Mayor’s office;
- studying at Yale University, New York University and Brown University;
- traveling to China, Europe, India, Greece, and South America;
- canoeing in Canada on a “Wilderness Experience” trip;
- attending National Leadership Foundation programs in National Security and Pre-Med; and
- attending sports camps.
All Academy students are required to complete summer reading. In order to make this exercise a rewarding one for students, they may choose from an extensive list of books developed by the faculty. When students return to school in the fall, they participate in various workshops and symposiums that make the reading come alive.
Academy Summer Camp
Students may also attend or apply to work a summer job at the Staten Island Academy Summer Camp. Summer Camp is a wonderful time on campus as the swimming pools open up, the sun shines down, and students from all over New York City come to attend our day camp and SIG student enrichment programs. Learn more about camp by clicking here.